Website

If you enjoy reading my blog, why not visit my website.

Wednesday 6 June 2012

DIAMOND JUBILEE

What other subject could there be to blog about today? As Britain returns to work after the four day celebrations for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, the nation is left with some great memories. It was a fantastic time in which Britain came together to give thanks for her 60 years of selfless service.

The British aren't really a nation of flag wavers. We tend to be more reserved in our shows of patriotism. However, the only time I have ever seen anything like as many flags around the place was during Euro 96 - don't start me off about that, there's a week's worth of blogging in there and I've already got so much great content planned for you!

The jubilee was an opportunity for old and young alike to get out onto the streets and give thanks to our Queen. Now whatever you may think about the monarchy, you have to admit that she is an amazing lady. I was lucky enough to visit Buckingham Palace about 10 years ago when my (now late) grandmother received the MBE. It was an incredible day, really special and every bit as exciting as I thought it was going to be. My Nan was a great royalist and loved that day as the Queen made it so personal for her and made her feel so special.

I loved the way that communities got together and there was a real sense of pride in our nation. Foreign friends on Twitter were saying that seeing the celebrations made them wish they were British. For those of us lucky enough to be from these Isles it was an opportunity to express our love for our country - I've never seen #proudtobebritish trending on Twitter before.

So let's take that pride, that great feeling and spread it into our daily lives. Let's show the world that Britain is a great place to be, not just for the Jubilee celebrations but every single day.

No comments: