Website

If you enjoy reading my blog, why not visit my website.

Sunday 21 December 2008

MUM - THIS ONE'S FOR YOU!

It's a busy time of year for us all with Christmas almost upon us, but for me, 21st December is always a difficult day. It is the anniversary of my mum's death and even though it's 28 years ago now it's not an easy time. I was only 15 when she died from breast cancer after a long illness. She had spent much of the previous two years in and out of hospital. The last time I saw her, she was being carried downstairs on a stretcher to go back into hospital for the last time. She was bright yellow from jaundice and weighed about 4 stone. She was 35 years old.

Her name was Lynn and she loved Christmas, and Christmas in our house was amazing. Even the year that she died she had bought and wrapped presents for everyone.

She was the best mum ever. More than that, she was the funniest, most loving and generous human being who ever walked the planet. Even if she couldn't swim or ride a bike and had an almost pathological hatred of pineapple that meant she wouldn't even have one in the house. It became our favourite treat at Nan and Grandad's house; with cream and custard if you couldn't make your mind up! 

Strangely, one of my most poignant memories from that time is the Jona Lewie song "Stop the Cavalry". Whenever I hear that record I am back in 1980 and going to visit my mum in hospital for one of the last times. That song is a very powerful anchor for me.

Losing a parent at that age had a profound effect on me. It made me grow up very quickly and become much more independent, resilient and mentally strong. It also made me never take anything for granted and to this day really helps me make the most of now.

Nowadays I do my best to make Christmas a special time for my own little family. I was very lucky, my mum was always very proud of me when I was a kid. Mum - wherever you are now.... I hope you still are. This one's for you!


No comments: