Website

If you enjoy reading my blog, why not visit my website.

Wednesday 6 August 2008

THE SPACE INSIDE YOUR HEAD

It's funny how some things you read stick in your mind isn't it?
As a teenager in the late 70's I read George Orwell's 1984. I always remember the first few pages in which the lives of the two central characters are described as being under constant surveillance from all angles.

The only little bit of freedom they had under the oppressive regime were the few square centimetres inside their own heads. Inside there, their thoughts were their own. They could retreat there, untouched and safe from observation.

The world around us can sometimes seem not too dissimilar to this. On my way home tonight, the news told of a pensioner found dead in his home, having been there for over two years - nobody thought to check on him. There was also the story of the woman pushed onto railway tracks for asking two lads to stop smoking. She broke her collar bone.

My friend is on holiday at the moment in this country and sent me a text to say the weather was cold - like midwinter. This reminded me of the Orwell passage, so I sent back a message to say, that it can always be summer in your head! My friends are used to my eternal optimism.....

My point is this though - how we feel is up to us. It doesn't depend on the weather or on the madness happening around us. How you feel depends upon how you decide to feel. Don't let anyone else control your happiness. Let today be the day that you decide to feel how you really want to feel.

Use those few centimetres inside your own head, right now, to create your own reality. Take control and start living the way you've always wanted to.

No comments: