Website

If you enjoy reading my blog, why not visit my website.

Wednesday 10 February 2010

GET ON YOUR DEATHBED


Not as morbid as it sounds...... although I have been to a funeral today, always a reminder of one's own mortality.
Must be an age thing but I seem to go to many more funerals than weddings these days. One summer I went to nine weddings. That seems like a very long time ago.

Whilst there I was reminded of this exercise. It is one of Steve Chandler's techniques, described in his wonderful book "100 Ways to Motivate Yourself". If you haven't read it I highly recommend it. This technique is in fact the very first one in the book.

Imagine yourself lying on your deathbed and imagine those people close to you visiting you to say goodbye. Really connect with the feelings associated with this. It sounds like a terrible thing to do and it is very emotional but it is a wonderful way to realise what is really important in your life and what you are not doing and not saying to those close to you. It makes you think hard about pushing your dreams off into the future and telling yourself you'll do it some day. As Steve says, "without being conscious of death you can't be fully aware of the gift of life".

1 comment:

Rah said...

I agree. :D