Website

If you enjoy reading my blog, why not visit my website.

Thursday 4 September 2008

WHAT ARE YOU TAKING FOR GRANTED?

What things in your life do you take for granted?
I've been thinking about that in the last week or so as I haven't any internet access - something that I definitely take for granted. Last week I was on holiday in Ireland. Our cottage didn't have broadband and the dial-up connection was slow and unreliable - hence not much in the way of blogging got done...... another thing I just assume that I can do whenever the mood grabs me.

Once back at home, I discovered that our broadband connection was down. Not only does that make it harder to keep in touch with people but the kids rely on it for homework etc. They still look at me vacantly when told that when I was their age, researching something meant reading a book, often having to cycle to the library to get it. Googling it just wasn't an option. According to them this dates me somewhere around the Jurassic period!

Challenging as that is, it's trivial in the grand scheme of things - but what really important things or people in our lives are we taking for granted right now? The food you eat, the water you drink, the clothes you wear, the money you earn..... who do you depend on for all of that? How about your friends, your colleagues, your family, your partner - what are they doing for you and when did you last really stop and think about that?

We all need eachother. However independent we might like to think we are, we are all connected in someway, all part of the greater whole. Spend some time today just noticing the other people and things in your life. Why not let them know how much you appreciate them? Next time someone does something nice for you, tell them - take that second and really make a difference to someone else's day too. When now will you start doing that?

No comments: