Website

If you enjoy reading my blog, why not visit my website.

Monday 27 October 2008

EXTRA TIME

Although from the title, this blog post could have been all about football...... I'll curb my passion for the moment and spare you the details of another home defeat for Watford.

No, the extra time refers to the clocks having gone back on Sunday morning. So what did you do with your extra hour? I always remember being fascinated by the concept of the clocks changing when I was a child. So how did it work, does it mean there were two 2am's in the autumn change..... and in the spring change is 3am missed out altogether? I also remember hearing about a group of people protesting one spring that an hour of their life had been "taken away" by the clocks going forward. Even then, I remember thinking, well why waste another few hours moaning about it then? Why not just get on with it? You see, even then I was a practical sort of person! 

Do you think you make the best use of your time? How much time do you waste in an average day, week or month? Why not start today by looking at how you spend your time - it might show you that you have more time available than you thought.

Divide the day into 10 minute slots on a piece of paper (Excel spreadsheet or Blackberry for you techno freaks out there) and note down everything you do over the course of an average day. And yes..... I do mean everything. Then total them up. Look at how much time you devote to each activity and then to how much time you spend....... well, not doing very much. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating filling every second of every one of your days with a frenzied blur of activity. No, the purpose of this exercise is to illustrate that next time you say "I haven't got time for that", you might be able to think to yourself - "Maybe I have" and here's the crunch point, "if I want to find it". Never forget that we are human beings, not human doings. Sometimes what we need is just simply to be.

So next time someone says to you - "where did the day go?" you'll know..... and you'll have a choice. You can fit more in if you want to, you can choose to just "be" for a while...... or you can waste your life in useless protest. But then that would be just another waste of time!

No comments: