Website

If you enjoy reading my blog, why not visit my website.

Monday 22 June 2009

LOOKING PROMISING

Well, the weekend is over and the new week is with us. To my mind it's looking like it's going to be a great one. For lots of reasons.

I'm writing this having just finished a session at the gym in which I ran for the first time in two and a half months. Admittedly not very far.... but boy did it feel good! The calf tear I sustained back in April has been slow to heal and been complicated by the flare up of an old back problem. I am hoping that I am now over the worst of it and able to, quite literally, get back on the right road. I've been exercising all the way through..... but there's nothing quite like running.

So, I'm sitting here glowing about that and contemplating the start of Wimbledon. Will Andy Murray win? Without wishing to sound unpatriotic, I hope that Roger Federer wins. Can there be a professional sportsman who is a better role model for youngsters? I once read an article by a journalist who interviewed him the night before a big tournament final. They were in his hotel room, it was already 1am and it had been a very long day for the player. Just as the interview was about to finish, the journalist realised to his horror that the tape recorder hadn't been switched on.... he was very apologetic but felt dejected that he wouldn't be able to capture the full interview. To his amazement, Federer suggested they just do the whole thing again..... from the beginning.

That story has always stuck in my mind. That a man with that much money, kudos and power was humble enough to do that. He's always had my support since then.If he wins he will also break Pete Sampras' record by winning his 15th Grand Slam title - a truly amazing feat.

So, whoever you are supporting, let's hope that Wimbledon fortnight is the great sporting spectacle it usually is. Let's hope to see effort, passion and sportmanship rewarded. Sounds promising to me.

No comments: