Website

If you enjoy reading my blog, why not visit my website.

Monday 15 June 2009

WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH!

Not a comment on today's post...... hopefully not anyway.

The title refers to what I got up to yesterday morning.
Normally I spend my Sunday mornings ankle-deep in mud on the touchline of my son's rugby team, but for the next three months it's the off-season. Just the midweek training session and no weekend games. So, I decided to do something different.... something useful.

It's the annual carnival in my village next weekend and to help clean up in preparation for it there was a volunteer litter pick..... so I volunteered. I have to say, it was great fun too. I tried to get the rest of my household involved but I'm ashamed to say the call of the sofa, the Sunday papers and the PS3 was just too strong!

Two hours in the warm June sunshine, hi-vi jacket on and picking-up gadget thing in my hand, I collected two big bin-bags full of rubbish. Where does it all come from? Evidently McDonald's and the off-license are a big part of the answer to that. But who drops it.... and why?

 I don't know about you but I detest litter. How much effort is it to put it in the bin? Maybe they should bring back those great Ronnie Corbett TV adverts of the early 70's - who remembers seeing little Ronnie, up to his neck in rubbish saying "Litter's not much fun, when you're only five foot one"? 

Caring for your environment makes such a difference. Studies have shown that poor environments - derelict buildings, smashed windows etc. are strongly linked to anti-social behaviour. It was great to be able, in a small way, to make a difference to where I live. Just think if everyone did a little something like that..... what an enormous difference we could make to our world.

No comments: