Website

If you enjoy reading my blog, why not visit my website.

Sunday 6 September 2009

DAY OF REST

Well, here we are again, another week over already.
As I write this it's 8.15pm and already pitch black outside. That's one of the things that I find strange when I go and visit my Dad in Thailand - it always seems to get dark at about the same time every day, around about 6.30pm I think. Here it'll be anything from 10.30pm in the summer to just after 4pm in the depths of winter. Somehow there's something strangely comforting about the way the seasons change.....

It's been another busy week, in the surgery, on the coaching front and with my training. I did a 22 miler (long slow distance) along the canal yesterday with my younger son accompanying me on his bike. It was a lovely day for it too. The banks seemed to full of birds yesterday - ducks, geese, Canada geese, coots, moorhens and herons to name but a few (OK to name all the ones I could recognise!) Just why are baby swans called cygnets? Gosling and geese - seems to be some sort of grammatical connection.... but cygnet? Always gives me the mental picture of a cygnet ring on the hand of a pudgy east end gangster for some reason..... sort of Bob Hoskins type character, but a bit meaner somehow.

Today I felt pretty stiff and sore though and after much though decided not to train today, although it wasn't supposed to be a rest day. This was the first day I have missed in 7 weeks but I still felt pretty guilty somehow. However, with my sensible head on it seemed better to try and let the few niggles I had collected have a day to recover before getting back out there tomorrow.

Strangely I will be sitting in a lecture theatre all day tomorrow. I'm doing an update course at the local hospital. It'll be a good opportunity to catch up with some local colleagues I haven't seen for a while and I'll still be home early enough to fit in a five miler before it gets dark.... even at the speed I run !

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your old dad still has some uses! The word cygnet comes from Old French cygne or from Latin cygnus or from Greek kuknos, all meaning swan.
Now - I hope you are impressed! Oh, by the way I just looked it up on the Internet, but don't tell anybody! Let them think I am a brain box.

[Middle English cignet, from Anglo-Norman, diminutive of Old French cygne, swan, from Latin cygnus, from Greek kuknos.]