Website

If you enjoy reading my blog, why not visit my website.

Saturday 12 September 2009

MEN BEHAVING BADLY


No not the 90's TV series....nor interestingly what I was about to write about when I sat down to write this.

I had been about to write about the contrasts in our society. Whilst running this week I have seen the same homeless woman twice, searching through rubbish bins for plastic bags at the side of the road. She was dressed in a dirty old rainmac on a hot day and was stuffing the bags she found into a short section of one of those plastic, fold-up tunnels that kids crawl through. As she did so the traffic roared past - plenty of 4 x 4's, Porsches and BMWs amongst them..... always makes me wonder what's gone wrong in our society that in 2009, people still need to live like this.....

What caught my eye, or rather my ears as I was about to write this was the debate that suddenly flared up in the BBC1 studio between the pundits who were discussing the final minutes of the Manchester City v. Arsenal match.

Emmanuel Adebayor, who has just made a somewhat acrimonious move from City to Arsenal, scored their third goal and then raced the full length of the pitch to celebrate in front of the Arsenal fans. Was this taunting of them justified? He got a booking but will that be all? Scuffles broke out behind the goal as he did it. The studio debate got pretty heated and was about how much responsibility the players on the pitch have for how they behave. Is bad behaviour on the pitch a good enough excuse to allow adults to behave badly on the terraces?

Sounds to me like Adebayor should have known better but everyone in that Arsenal end had a choice about how they reacted. It's not enough to say he did X so I had to do Y. It doesn't have to work like that. In an ideal world wouldn't we all take responsibility for ourselves and drop this ridiculous blame culture?

On the running front it's been a good week. I've beaten my personal bests on all my shorter runs and survived a 22 miler this morning unscathed..... bit stiff but still smiling. Have a great weekend.

No comments: