Website

If you enjoy reading my blog, why not visit my website.

Sunday 16 August 2009

I'VE EATEN THE FROG!



No, not a reference to my recent trip to France...... though I am partial to a bit of grenouille now and again.
I'm referring to accomplishing a much hated task - as described in Brian Tracy's book "Eat That Frog".

I was very pleased with myself yesterday for sorting out the paperwork for our practice accountant. In truth it's not that big a job, maybe two hours worth of work, but one that I loathe doing every year. In comparison with the sorting out I have been doing of my Nan's estate since she died, this stuff was very simple..... but nevertheless, a frog for me.

The idea in the book is that to eat a frog would be very unpleasant, so when you are looking at a list of tasks, make yourself do the worst thing first...... hence eating the frog. I certainly felt great once I'd done it and rewarded myself with...... a fifteen mile run. Yes, you knew I was strange didn't you! I have to confess I was really looking forward to running yesterday...... as they say on Reggie Perrin, "almost physically excited". No I'm kidding, but while I'm on the subject of Reggie Perrin, I thought that series turned out rather well, so much better than expected. I loved that programme as a kid and when I saw it was being remade thought it was bound to be awful..... but I rather enjoyed it. Martin Clunes brought something new to the role and didn't try to be Leonard Rossiter. If only the same could be said for the remake of the Pink Panther films with Steve Martin, surely the worst remake ever? Unless you know better of course!

Anyway, the run went really well but was fairly hard in the last 4 miles. It was quite hot yesterday and I tried running with a backpack for the first time, for my drinks. As always, it was hugely worth it, not only for the enormous endorphin high at the end - makes you wonder why anyone bothers with drugs - but for the great feeling of knowing that it is one more step along the road to my goal.

I've had an easy morning this morning. Stretched out on the sofa, sun streaming through the window, watching the World Athletics Championships live from Berlin - fantastic. Starts again at 5pm and hopefully I'll see Jessica Ennis take the heptathlon gold medal and Usain Bolt "jog" to win the 100m. Lots to do before then..... enjoy the rest of the weekend.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Always remember that cultures around the world vary. My friends in Thailand missed the significance of this message because frogs taste great! You can buy frogs everywhere even in our largest supermarket chain - Tesco (yes, Tesco) - where they come ready and prepared for the frying pan.

Dad