Website

If you enjoy reading my blog, why not visit my website.

Monday 6 July 2009

15TH GRAND SLAM


Did you see the tennis yesterday? What a fantastic match!
Roger Federer won his 15th Grand Slam tournament, beating Andy Roddick in five sets, the final set going to an unbelievable 16 - 14.

I was impressed by many things during this match and feel there is so much to learn from it. The mental strength of the players was huge. They absolutely refused to throw in the towel, even when things were going against them. They just hung in there, dug deep and waited for their moment. For me the best example of this was when Federer came from 4 set points down in the third set tie-breaker to win six straight points and take the set.

The truly great champions seem to step up a gear at the really big points.

I was also impressed by the composure of both men and by their interviews straight after the game. They paid tribute not only to each other but to the fans and the tennis legends in the crowd. They both showed humility and grace. Would Andy Murray have done the same?

Well Wimbledon's now over but it'll soon be the Ashes and even better, soon be the football season again. As for me, I had a great session in the gym today. I took inspiration not only from the tennis but also from watching "On Thin Ice" last night. Did you see it? It was the second part in the documentary following the attempt of Ben Fogel and James Cracknell, together with a third competitor to train for and take part in a race to the South Pole. If you've missed it so far, check it out on the BBCiplayer. I love programmes like this, about people doing extraordinary feats of endurance - wonderful. It's enough to make you want to leap out of your comfort zone.... and grow!

Oh and a big thanks to you Lady M for your kind comments and for becoming my first follower! Don't leave her on her own..... if you enjoy my blog, why not follow it too?

No comments: