Website

If you enjoy reading my blog, why not visit my website.

Wednesday 8 July 2009

BACK OUTSIDE


"Tu vas courir dehors demain?" My french teacher asked me last night.
(Are you going to run outside tomorrow?)
For the first time in three months, the answer was a resounding yes..... and what a great run it was!

It is exactly 3 months since I tore my calf and after many weeks on the sidelines I resumed cross training and treadmill running but today was my very first run outside - wonderful.

I did six miles along the Grand Union canal towpath, accompanied by my faithful hound Sox. She's a 4 year old rescue dog, a Jack Russell cross with perhaps a bit of Beagle in her..... who loves to run. She loves to lag behind then come charging past at breakneck speed. We had only one nasty experience when she bizarrely tried to run between my ankles.....

The weather was perfect for running and the canal is a wonderful place to do it. Although never far from the main road or railway, it feels like a peaceful haven in a mad, crazy world. I returned to a hot shower and then a telephone coaching session with one of my favourite clients. What better way to start the day? I appreciate how privileged I am to be able to spend my days doing the things that I love and I'm not afraid to say so.

If you haven't spent any time outside today, I'd encourage you to do so, even if it's just to take a short walk for a few minutes. The power of exercising, especially outside can never be overstated. Why not try it, you'll be glad that you did.

I was hugely chuffed to see that more people read my blog yesterday than on any previous single day - probably more to do with Roger Federer than me, but gratifying none the less. A special welcome to a new reader in Pelotas in Brazil. Why not leave me a comment and say hello?

No comments: