Website

If you enjoy reading my blog, why not visit my website.

Thursday 31 May 2012

RICHARD BRANSON'S HABITUAL PATTERNS OF BEHAVIOUR

I can't remember who said that we are our habits, but whoever it was got it pretty much spot on. As a coach I'm interested in getting people into better habits and that of course includes myself. I read this article about Richard Branson a few weeks ago and thought you'd be interested in it too. I can't credit the original source as I've seen it in several different places on the web. I believe it has been compiled from both his autobiography and various interviews. I think it's a fascinating insight into the mental habits of one of the world's most successful entrepreneurs and businessmen.

Branson lists these as his most important mental habits, the attitudes and ways of being that have got him where he is today:

  • Stepping outside your comfort zone
  • Facing problems head-on
  • Being open to change
  • Making every second count
  • Hunting for new opportunities
  • Asking questions
  • Challenging yourself
  • Enjoying life to the fullest
  • Having fun
  • Meeting new people
  • Trying new things
  • Enjoying working
  • Always carrying a notepad
  • Surrounding yourself with great people
  • Taking calculated risks
  • Taking time to read and learn
  • Taking time to catnap and daydream
  • Taking time to think

I love these. I find them stimulating and thought provoking. These are what works for him, they're not rules but how much better could things be for us if we adopted some or all of these ideas into our own lives? We likely do many of these things already but I think the difference is in doing them consciously. Why not choose a couple that really appeal to you and make a real effort to do them today? Actually ask yourself for example in what way are you stepping outside of your comfort zone today or in what way are you making an effort to meet new people. The answers you get will lead you into a whole new set of highly productive habits. What have you got to lose?

No comments: