Website

If you enjoy reading my blog, why not visit my website.

Monday 28 May 2012

FOCUS YOUR EFFORTS

I was sitting in the sun at the weekend, enjoying the fabulous weather. I was reading a book and trying to ignore the dog who wants to be played with 24/7. She was repeatedly dropping her tennis ball on my foot, trying to get me to throw it for her. I gave in after a bit and we played fetch for 15 minutes or so until she collapsed in a panting heap under a tree ...... don't worry, she was fine and the whole cycle was to be repeated several times more that day!

Whilst she was resting, I started to throw some bread onto the lawn for our chickens and the way that they behaved inspired today's blog. We've got two chickens, both very independent souls. They have distinct personalities in many ways but they both did exactly the same thing with the bread and that's what interested me. I tore it into small pieces before throwing it and as I did so they dashed to wherever it landed and started pecking away greedily. However, as soon as I threw a new piece down, they instantly abandoned what they were eating and rushed over to the new bit. They did this repeatedly, never able to stick with what they had, even though they were evidently enjoying it, always tempted by the promise of something new in the hope that it might somehow be even better.

How often do we find ourselves doing a similar thing? How much more could we achieve if we stuck at something instead of always expecting the grass to be greener elsewhere? Think about it. Maybe you started learning a language and then gave up when the going got a bit tough? Perhaps it was a new sport in which you made rapid progress at first and then stopped when you seemed to reach a plateau?

Success involves both focus and determination. If you set a goal and keep taking steps towards it every day then you are going to get there, even if the steps are small, providing you keep moving in the right direction. This means not changing your mind and moving onto a different course at the first hint of trouble. If you keep doing this you'll waste so much energy but if focus your efforts there's no limit to what you can achieve.


No comments: