Website

If you enjoy reading my blog, why not visit my website.

Monday 14 May 2012

SO MUCH MORE THAN THE VOICE

Have you been watching The Voice UK? I have and I'm really enjoying it. It's not just that the standard is much higher than most TV talent shows, I've also been really impressed and inspired by one of the show's coaches - William James Adams Jr, better known to all as Will.i.am

Now I'm not really a big fan of rap music but I love Will's manner with the contestants and that prompted me to find out more about him. I was amazed at some of the stuff he has done and at just how inspirational a character he is.

He grew up in a ghetto in East Los Angeles, the child of a single mother. Despite their poverty she knew the value of education and scrimped and saved for him to go to a better out of town school. She encouraged him to be different and to be better than what he saw around him. He never forgot her sacrifices and cites her as the inspiration for everything he does. Once he began to make money with The Black Eyed Peas he paid to move his mother out of the ghetto. Later he did the same for all his aunts, cousins etc - in fact his whole family. One of his latest ventures is starting a new car company IAMAUTO. He has designed cars that will be produced in a brand new factory - located guess where? yes, that very same ghetto. He's extended his philanthropy to the other people of the area, creating lots of new jobs in the community.

As well as being a singer, musician, producer, DJ, fashion designer and entrepreneur he runs i.am.angel, a non-profit organisation which encourages and sponsors young people to go to college. He is quoted as saying that he hopes those he sponsors don't just want to do music, "what the world needs is another Bill Gates." He is also involved with FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) which aims to promote the importance of these areas to kids and to encourage them to get involved in science.

I love people like Will, people who use their fame and wealth for the greater good. He really puts back and contributes positively to the lives of those around him. He really makes a difference. I find his story massively inspiring. I hope that now you know more about him, you will too.






No comments: